Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Mequals and Hats

I write this with complete deference to www.nixthetricks.com. I will rationalize my use of these dirty, horrible tricks by saying that this notation is completely arbitrary and does little for mathematical conception. I'm a math teacher so I like it, but for the average 10 grade Geometer, I'm not sure these subtle differences in notation have much real meaning.

Mequals

How do you get a kid to recognize that measures are equal and angles are congruent?  MEQUALS!  If you use an EQUALS sign, you need to put an M on the front.  MEQUALS.

Shameless, I know.



Hats

If one of them wears a hat, they all wear hats.  BOOM.


1 comment:

  1. The author of Nix the Tricks thinks this is adorable. There is no conceptual understanding you're circumventing, I hate the equal vs. congruent thing in general and avoid it as much as possible!

    ReplyDelete